The Vaccine Education Center at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (VEC) recently released new materials that may be of interest:
- Measles: What You Should Know - this Q&A sheet addressses measles disease and vaccination. It is available online in English and Spanish.
- When Individual Doctors Make Their Own Immunization Schedules: What You Should Know - this Q&A sheet addresses some of the common "red flags" when doctors make their own versions of the schedule. A related article from the December 2017 newsletter for parents, called Parents PACK, discusses how parents can use vaccine conversations when choosing a healthcare provider.
- Video: "Why can't we make a better flu vaccine?" is an approximately 4.5 minute video in which Dr. Paul Offit, Director of the VEC, discusses the difficulties with making influenza vaccines.
The VEC also offers a free monthly newsletter for healthcare providers, called Vaccine Update. Each issue includes a review of a journal article by Dr. Paul Offit and an article related to the technical aspects of vaccination by Dr. Deborah Wexler, Executive Director of the Immunization Action Coalition. Complete this form to subscribe.
Finally, if you are not aware of our "Current Issues in Vaccines" webinar series, you may want to check it out. Dr. Offit presents free one-hour webinars about three times per year in which he discusses vaccine related news and science. The most recent webinar, held in November, included discussions related to:
- Shingrix® vs. Zostavax®
- Hepatitis B vaccine: Updates
- Mumps: What to do about the increased rates
- Influenza vaccine: Will FluMist® return?
Each webinar is archived for about a year after the event for free viewing. Find currently archived events on this page of the Vaccine Update website.