Description of the website
The main purpose of the National Pharmacovigilance and drug safety center in the Saudi Food and Drug Authority is to regulate, oversee, and control drugs, as well as to set mandatory standard specifications thereof, whether they are imported or locally manufactured. Moreover, it is in charge of consumers awareness on all matters related.
The main objectives of the Saudi Food and Drug Authority can be outlined as follows:
- Observe the safety, security, and effectiveness of food and drug for humans and animal
- Observe the safety of complementary biological and chemical substances, cosmetics and pesticides.
- Observe the safety of medical devices and its impact on public health.
- Ensure accuracy and safety of medical and diagnostic devices.
- Launch clear policies and procedures for food and drug, and plan to achieve and implement these policies.
- Conduct research and applied studies to identify health problems, their causes, determine its impact on public, with the consideration of methods for research / studies evaluation. The authority shall establish scientific bases for awareness and consulting services and executive programs in the fields of food and drug. This can be accomplished through the recruitment of experts & specialists or through the partnership with research bodies such as King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) and/or universities research centers.
- Control and supervise licenses procedures for food, drugs and medical devices factories.
- Disseminate and exchange information with local and international scientific and legal agencies, and setting up a database for food and drug.
The vaccine safety part contains scientific articles, Q and A section, as well as information sheets about the safe vaccine use.
Website’s sponsorship policy
Established law of the SFDA declared that: Establishment of A General Authority for Food and Drug supervision that has its own entity and autonomous budget. Directly report to the Council of Ministers and assume the procedural, executive, and supervisory tasks, which carried out by the currently existing agencies. Therefore, it is sponsored by the Government.
Website’s content or editorial policy
The Saudi Food and Drug Authority (SFDA) was established under the Council of Ministers resolution no (1) dated 07/01/1424 H, as an independent body corporate that directly reports to The President of Council of Ministers. The Authority objective is to ensure safety of food and drug for man and animal, and safety of biological and chemical substance as well as electronic products.
A Board of Directors, chaired by HRH Crown Prince, Deputy Premier. Its membership includes HRH Minster of Municipality and Rural Affairs as vice-chairman, and all pertinent ministers (HRH Minister of Interior, Minister of Health, Minister of Commerce and Industry, Minster of Agriculture, Minister of Water and Electricity, Minister of Finance and Minister of Economic and Planning). As well as, the Director General of Saudi Arabian Standards and Specification Organization, the Chairperson of Council of Chambers of Commerce and Industry in the Kingdom, the Authority's Executive Chief, and a person specialize in food and drug.